It's been some time since I last posted. I have put my little girl character on hold, and working on something else at the moment. And here's a quick look. It's going towards an ABC book I'm developing.
Been playing with my lovely Prismacolor colour pencils and experimenting with colour combinations. You can see my process of recording the colours as I use them. As I have 72 colours, this helps me to remember which pencils produce the effect I want.
Currently working on my next character of a little girl: some sketches. Also playing around with my new Prismacolor colour pencils!
You can access my website here.
It's been awhile since I last posted here. I'm currently back in Malaysia, still trying to settle in and figure out my next plans. In the meantime, here's something I did a while back for a competition. I went back to playing with the nib and ink, and I have to say that it's going to be a permanent part of my repertoire. I quite like working this way.
After months of making illustrations for picture books, I wanted to try doing something totally different, something a little darker in mood. With a bit of experimentation with materials, these were the results. They are meant to be book illustrations for classic novels, specifically North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell, and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. (Pride and Prejudice has been done too many times).
The past one and a half years has finally led to this: MA Children's Book Illustration Graduation Show 2014. I'm graduating! If you're around London between Feb 11th to 15th, do drop by and see some 60-plus students' work. If you do, you might see this cast of characters from my dummy books:
See, there's Lili, the Circus Boy, and my latest addition to the family Miki the cupid.
So I took a break from drawing and making images, and instead tried my hand at some felting. I am HOOKED! Here's a little experiment at making a little felted Lili doll. I didn't have flesh tone wool (I have ordered some; they have yet to arrive), so I tried white first. Just the head so far.
So I've been working really hard on my final project, which is a new picturebook dummy. These were developed from the psychedelic cupids I worked on sometime ago. Here's a sneak peak:
I made a picturebook dummy about a circus boy last year, and I really loved working with soft pastels and so I thought I'll create a few more images based on the same story. These images were originally created for a competition. The first of these was posted here.